1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. GTA Network forum is now in archive mode.

New to GTANET, with old school questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PaperNote, Jun 27, 2017.

1. PaperNote

PaperNote New Member

Hi there. New to this community and GTANET.WORK in general. But, not new to GTA and client/servers. I come from Sa-Mp and only recently bought this (GTAV) for PC, as I originally play on Xbox One. Anyway, when I heard about GTANET, I had to jump on it immediately, as one thing I did for Sa-Mp was made a child-friendly map, full of races, freeroam, and so on. I'd like to do that again, as my children a little older now, and I'd like to do something like that again.

Are the servers pretty flat, until scripts are added? And if so, is everything ran from menu systems now? Or, is there a general command base we can use to communicate with the server from inside the game? So far, none of the commands I know from my general SQL knowledge do not work.

It's been a very long time since my Sa-Mp days, so forgive me for coming off new to all of this all over again.

Thanks

2. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

Hi there, if you haven't already take a look at our wiki. Servers do nothing but spawn you in Vinewood until you script a resource or use one of the pre-included resources.

Interacting with the game is similar to SAMP, you can make Commands or you can use menus. The biggest thing you'll need to know other than C# and Javascript, is the difference between Client, Shared, and Server functions, but each wiki page will say what type of function it is.

If you need more help there are many helpful people in Discord that can answer questions or help guide you.

Welcome to GTA Network!

Letho likes this.
  3. PaperNote

PaperNote New Member

Wow, thank you. Yeah, I'll definitely take advantage of the Wiki. For now, I'm just messing around with the standard script files that came with the server. In fact, when I modify my Freeroam/Vehicles page in Notepad++, then save, then reload the server... etc...When I bring up the menu (F1), I can spawn all the vehicles that I added, like the Rocket Voltic and such, everything but the Gunrunning Vehicles work. Any news on this? And also, by default, I keep getting an error message that says I can't spawn any weapons. I wanted to spawn a parachute when testing out the Hydra, since I can't afford one. :=)

No worries though, I will look at the Wiki and try to find a simple solution, otherwise, there's GTA-Mods.com, but again, I'm so new at this, when I go to use their mods, none of them load up...

Thanks again

4. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

GTA Network doesn't currently support modding of game files, which is why they don't load. As for the Gunrunning Vehicle, use their Hash until a client/server update comes out. Then for the weapons I'd have to see what your code is for weapons.