1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. GTA Network forum is now in archive mode.

MySQL With User System - In-depth Tutorial From Start to Finish

Discussion in 'Tutorials/Documentations' started by andreasb, Jan 8, 2017.

1. andreasb

andreasb Well-Known Member

So I've seen quite a few questions regarding MySQL, user registration/login systems, ORMs, password security etc., so I decided to write a very detailed step-by-step guide for those who might not be very familiar or experienced with this. It is filled up with images illustrating each point, which is also the reason why it's quite lengthy.

Throughout this tutorial you’ll learn to
    • set up a new GTA Network Server project in Visual Studio,
    • add references and NuGet packages to your project,
    • use the Insight.Database ORM (Object-Relational Mapper) for MySQL communication (so you can avoid certain hurdles you normally encounter),
    • set up a new database and tables in MySQL using phpMyAdmin,
    • code the foundation for a secure user account system with login and registration using Bcrypt for password security,
    • learn how to deal with database stored procedures/routines

Read the tutorial here: https://github.com/andreasbmp/gtan-mysql-tutorial/blob/master/DetailedMySQLLoginandRegistrationTutorial.pdf
    (did not want to re-format the entire thing into multiple forum posts)

NOTE: I’m using WAMPserver to get MySQL and phpMyAdmin easily installed. It’s a prerequisite that you have phpMyAdmin and a MySQL server running or understanding of how to apply this tutorial to another database and management tool. This tutorial will not go through setup of such.

I am also not active here anymore, thus I won't answer questions or PMs unless I happen to come by.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. Jack

Jack Member Donator

Great tutorial! although i wouldn't do mine this way, I guess everyone has their own way of programming.

Kind Regards,
    JC

3. andreasb

Thanks!
    And yes, I agree! nod~~

4. brux0

brux0 Member

Hey, it's really nice tutorial! Thank you.

I'm now curious how check if user already exist in database. Hope you'll do some more tutorials!

andreasb likes this.
  5. andreasb

Hey,

I'll try to expand this into a series of tutorials, but they take a few hours to make due to their level of detail.
    However, checking if a user(name) already exists upon registration, you could of course expand the CMD_UserRegistration command handler to include the _userRepository.GetAccount(player.name); method used in the Login handler. If that method does not return a user it means that no user with that username exists. Then you could do an if check etc., basic C# :=)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. Goncho28

Goncho28 Member Donator

Excellent tutorial, take your like ;-)

7. HidroDF

HidroDF Member

Excellent.

I'm trying to do check if username exists in DataBase but I don't understand how I can make it.

The _userRepository.GetAccount(player.name); cannot be a boolean like isPasswordCorrect.

Error CS0029 Cannot implicitly convert type 'users.UserAccount' to 'bool'

How I can do to include the method?

Thanks!

8. OscarTabu

OscarTabu New Member

Hi, I've followed your tutorial and it worked for me, but I have a problem. When I want to log in, it gives me an error in the console over an object and it will not be solved by myself.

9. andreasb

Need more info than this. Screenshots of console and database (table, table content), perhaps?

No, GetAccount() will return an account if it exists. If it doesn't exist, it'll probably return null or similar, which you could use in a conditional statement.

10. isee

isee Member

Hi, thanks a lot for this tutorial!!
    Sorry to bother you with this but when i try to login the chat message isn´t sent, i think that the login part isn´t working for me althogh the register part it´s working!
    I´ve noticed my console with some information, but im starting to code and im still a noob.
    Hope you can help me and help others with the same problem, here´s what was written on the console:
    Hope that you can identify my noobish error.
    Sorry, some parts are in Portuguese.
    Thanks!! DBerror.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  11. andreasb

Hey! Glad you liked it. Regarding your errors. I guess there´s a variable/property called name somewhere (according to one of the last lines in your console message) which doesn't exist. I need to see some code here to better suggest fixes. Can you paste some code into the pastebin and post the link here?
    Pastebin: https://pastebin.gtanet.work/

12. isee

isee Member

Thanksss a lot for your fast repply!!
    heres the code for the Main.cs
    https://pastebin.gtanet.work/?f2465e1ac9792164#PKvVunt1n3jMncTwokocSmMrC29G0jA1wQq9/QEumao=

and here´s for the meta.xml
    https://pastebin.gtanet.work/?715372f0d4a38465#hUgT/5d8Qq2FUDLLRzONTS8QdPHz6MFb3y5V8yURSoU=

Thanks a lot Andreas!

13. andreasb

Thanks!
    Well, on line 71 in your script you have the following line of code:
    Code:
    UserAccount GetAccount(string password);
    You're passing in string password as an argument while you should pass in string name. So you get this error because the stored procedure called GetAccount() in MySQL tries to find a variable called name, but it doesn't find it because you called it password instead :=)

14. isee

isee Member

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA thanksssssss a lot Andreas!!!
    Fixed, gonna try it!

----> edit: Already test it and It´s working! :=D :=D :=D :=D :=D

Thanks a lot for this tutorial and your help!!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    andreasb likes this.
  15. HidroDF

HidroDF Member

Yes, I've deduced but what type of conditional statement I should use?

For example, an IF statement cannot be used like:

if(GetAccount(player.name))
    {
    // Registred
    }
    else
    {
    // Not Registred
    }

Because GetAccount() doesn't return true/false/1/0. Do you have any idea on how that works? Thanks!

16. OscarTabu

OscarTabu New Member

17. Goncho28

Goncho28 Member Donator

I didn't try this login system and i don't know what data provides "GetAccount" but you can test what is the result if the account doesn't exist and then in the if you can chef if(value = x) // The account is unregistered, else, the account is registered. Hope you can do it, regards!

18. Nicoo

Nicoo Member

Hello @andreasb i try on windows and it's perfectly work,but on Linux, i have this error when i try to type a cmd: [​IMG]

19. Jorge Santamaria

Jorge Santamaria Member

Install the new client / server update and now when I use the / ul or / ur command I get this error:

[02:07:19] EXCEPTION IN RESOURCE newserver INSIDE SCRIPTENGINE Main
    [02:07:19] System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Se produjo una excepción en el destino de la invocación. ---> Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.RuntimeBinderException: No se puede convertir NULL en 'int' porque es un tipo de valor que no acepta valores NULL.
    en CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Object )
    en System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute1[T0,TRet](CallSite site, T0 arg0)
    en NewServer.Main.CMD_UserLogin(Client player, String password)
    --- Fin del seguimiento de la pila de la excepción interna ---
    en System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
    en System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
    en System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    en GTANetworkServer.ScriptingEngine.<>c__DisplayClass26_0.<InvokeVoidMethod>b__0() en C:\Users\Adam\Documents\Git\gtanet-src\mtav\Server\ResourceInfo.cs:línea 176
    en GTANetworkServer.ScriptingEngine.MainThreadLoop() en C:\Users\Adam\Documents\Git\gtanet-src\mtav\Server\ResourceInfo.cs:línea 109
    [02:07:58] EXCEPTION IN RESOURCE newserver INSIDE SCRIPTENGINE SpawnManager
    [02:07:58] Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.RuntimeBinderException: No se puede convertir NULL en 'float' porque es un tipo de valor que no acepta valores NULL.
    en CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Object )
    en System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute1[T0,TRet](CallSite site, T0 arg0)
    en RPGResource.SpawnManager.SpawnCitizen(Client target)
    en RPGResource.SpawnManager.ClientEvent(Client sender, String eventName, Object[] args)
    en GTANetworkServer.ScriptingEngine.<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<InvokeClientEvent>b__0() en C:\Users\Adam\Documents\Git\gtanet-src\mtav\Server\ResourceInfo.cs:línea 590
    en GTANetworkServer.ScriptingEngine.MainThreadLoop() en C:\Users\Adam\Documents\Git\gtanet-src\mtav\Server\ResourceInfo.cs:línea 109

20. -Andreas

-Andreas Well-Known Member

Thanks for the guide, but I got a question. We're using the ORM to avoid having to write a lot of MySql commands all the time or have I not understood this correctly? At the moment I've archived something like this without using an ORM like Insight. But is it better to use an ORM, and what's the benefit of Insight above others.